Every HAM needs to visuallize a good joke sometimes. Not HeathKit.

Fred Finster fred_finster at EL.NEC.COM
Wed Apr 18 19:05:55 EDT 2001

Do you remember your last radio hook up that did not work out right?

http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/thumb.jpg   Thumb nail version is smaller
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/latest.jpg    April 18th  Day version.
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/INDEX

Great Joke,  Reminds me of the time I was using a resistor leg in a five way
binding post on the random wire output of
my Antenna Tuner.  Usually clip the alligator clip to the metal connection
side to the binding post.  One Time
I put the alligator clip to the other side of the resistor.
                             resistor
5 way binding post [---] ---/\/\/\/-----  >-- clip to Antenna.   Cant
Hear???
                         \/
                          |--- normal clip to Antenna HERE!!

Could not understand why I could hear stations but not get out like before.
Ham Friend said I was pisweak.  Wonder why it was working just fine before?

The SWR was saying, that it was tunning up with nearly 1:1 ratio.
Looks good.

Inspecting the wiring.  I saw all the RF was going through the 50 ohm
resistor before reaching the alligator clip going to
the antenna.  So  I dissipated the power in the 5 Watt 50 Ohm resistor,
 had big wire leads to make easy clip to 5 way binding post.   Alligator
clip was small and would not stay attached to 5 way binding post with out
some piece of wire.
So finding cheapest closest wire available, a 5 Watt resistors metal
lead/leg.
The start of my QRP operations on 80M SSB,  HI HI.

Hope you enjoy the Dr Fun joke.

Fred Finster  WB7ODY
http://members.aol.com/wb7ody
http://home.earthlink.net/~fred_finster

reading Dr. FUN joke URL LINK above on April 19th will point to a different
joke from Dr. Fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ below QRP to the Field notice ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Fred,

Yes, I'm planning on doing qrpttf this year.  I'll probably be in the
back-yard with my chimney/monolith looming in the background.
Rick

So will you be operating in QRPTTF?

http://www.fix.net/~jparker/norcal/qrpttf2001/qttfruls.html
http://www.fix.net/norcal.html

Question,  who & where  will be going to participate in QRPTTF.

I like driving up to Fremont Peak myself, south of Gilroy California, near
San Juan Baptista.
There is  a NICE big ROCK hill up there with a Flag pole mounted on Top.

Fred

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov