hw-101 troubles

paul vickberg wishbone at MINN.NET
Mon Apr 23 20:28:55 EDT 2001

Hello to the group:

I have a problem with an HW-101 which is driving me crazy. It started
out with decreasing  drive  each time I transmitted until there was
finally no drive or output. Upon checking, I found that R6 and R7 (33k
ohms in the plates of V16) were increased in value to a couple of megs.
I bridged these two resistors with 33 k's and got back my drive, but I
also noticed that they were getting hot and would soon go the same way
as the other two. After further checking, I found out that the resistors

were getting hot in recieve mode: transmitting wasn't necessary. Upon
further checking I discovered the following. Remember, this is all in
recieve mode:

When the mode switch is in LSB , there is no plate voltage on pin 1 and
R7 heats up.When the mode switch is in USB or CW, there is no plate
voltage on pin 6 and R6 heats up. To further complicate this, I can load

up the transmitter to full power out on all bands, but if I continue for

long, the resistors (depending on where the mode switch is set) will
open up I substituted the 33 k's with two watters in the hopes that
whatever was causing the problem would smoke and I could find it but so
far nothing. This is really bugging me. Does anyone have any
suggestions?.

Paul, W0CPW

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov