more info on wanted xtals for sb 620

Paul K. Dean wb9hgz at CHARLOTTESVILLE.NET
Sat Apr 28 14:29:28 EDT 2001

Ken -

Hope the list members don't mind me posting this to the entire group, but I
thought the info might be of some value.... possibly to someone considering
an SB-620 purchase!

I just went through the same ordeal!!  One of the pair was bad in my unit.
In my case, it was the 349.85 crystal.  The bad news is that these are
"rare as hen's teeth".  :(  A couple of guys told me that they had bought
entire 620s just to get the crystals.

Good news is that they can be had, for a price.  I ended up getting mine
made by JAN Crystal.  Cost me 75 bucks, though.  Ouch.  International
Crystal, which most of the guys recommended also quoted me 75 bucks, but
said "We won't guarantee it to work in your circuit. If you'd like to take
a chance, we'd be glad to make one for you."  In both cases, they quoted 6
week delivery.

In speaking with the JAN folks, they said that they normally don't supply
crystals below 1 mHz.  The lady said "the guy who used to make them retired
so now, we outsource them".  (Wonder if they outsource to International??)

The JAN unit has arrived and appears to be working fine.  Note that I only
bought the one, so it's not a "matched set", but again, seems to be OK.
I'm in the final stages of tune-up.  A quick overspray on the cabinet and
we'll "button it up".  (Mike... I'll be calling you for some paint!)

Seems like a lot to invest in an old piece of gear, but SB-620s are pretty
hard to find, so I felt it was a good investment.  Others may argue that
point!  (Luckily, I have a wonderfully understanding XYL!)

Anyway, that's my story.  Good luck with your unit and let us know how it
comes out.

73,
Paul, wb9hgz

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov