CD of Heath Photos

Terry Perdue terryp at HALCYON.COM
Sat Apr 28 19:35:24 EDT 2001

Heath fans -

I have hundreds of gorgeous 8 x 10 glossy photos from Heath's past that I
would like to share if there is sufficient interest. They include many
inside photos of design labs, styling, office areas, metal fab, kit pack,
service department, kit sales, etc. - both at the Territorial and Hilltop
plants - and many of the Hilltop plant being built. There are also marketing
photos of various pieces of ham gear - generally outside and inside shots
including above- and below-chassis views. Even a number of pictures taken at
trade shows.

Unfortunately, very few of the photos are captioned, but I think they'd
still be enjoyable to many of you, and it occurred to me that it shouldn't
be too expensive to scan them onto a CD and make copies. I could also
include such things as the kit-builder's guide, new employee handbook, and
some other Heath publications that are somewhat rare, assuming that there
are no copyright problems. (Maybe Randy could check that out for me.)
Perhaps I could also scan a few of the catalogs.

I'm not looking to get rich off of this. I just think it would be nice if
the rest of you could enjoy looking at these as much as I do from time to
time. Basically, I'd just have to buy a scanner, and spend the time putting
a CD together. Then I'd find a CD copy service to do the duplicating. I've
never used a page scanner, so I don't know how long that part would take, or
how much disk space I'd need. Or could I scan right to the CD? Any advice
would be appreciated - model of scanner, resolution vs. # of pictures, copy
service, etc. I'd like to do this while there are still enough of us around
that might appreciate seeing it!

For those of you who have my book, Heath Nostalgia, the pictures in it were
scanned from a few of these high quality photos in two passes with a low-res
hand scanner, and pasted together. It was a very frustrating and
time-consuming job, and the results were poor - especially after half-toning
to allow printing. These would be orders of magnitude better. Most are in
black and white, but a few are in color, and all were professionally taken.

So - what do you say? Would you be willing to pay maybe $15-20 for a real
trip back in time? If there's enough of a response, and if Heath has no
problem with it, I'll get started.
Please reply to me personally so as not to clog everyone's mailbox. Just a
brief comment is sufficient.

Terry Perdue

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov