IM-18 problem

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 9 08:06:09 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Harley L. Miller <hmiller at SOUND.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: IM-18 problem

> I got a *lot* of good replies on this and want to thank everyone who
> made suggestions. What a group! Those who are in possesion of the old
> ham radios are also in possesion of the old ham radio spirit of
> helping each other.
>
> AND NOW, THE WINNER! Although all suggestions were good, in my case
> the one that worked was 'clean the zero adjust pot'. I had given it a
> small shot of DeOxit, trying to not spray it all over the instrument.
> When I gave it a second shot I doused it good and worked it in good,
> and that was the solution. The IM-18 is working fine now, and will be
> used on old radios again.

I _THOUGHT_ it might be something like that!

When I first started tinkering with these old Heathkits (bought via eBay,
and therefore of varying condition), I expected to be replacing most tubes,
all electrolytics, etc., etc.  Except for one cold-soldered unit, my
experience
has been that all they need is cleaning and tuning. Most just need a good
shot of contact cleaner, as you discovered.

Glad you found the problem.

Jack