Speaking of Impedance...

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 12 11:22:25 EDT 2001

Actually, 3.2 ohm speakers are very common in the
communications field.  Most of the old "boat anchor"
receivers used them, older car radios used them, TV
sets, etc.  Also, most two-way radios (i.e. Motorola,
General Electric - now Ericsson - etc.) use 3.2 ohm
speakers as well.  Actually, they are about as common
as 8 ohm speakers.  Therefore, I certainly would not
call them "weird".  You can purchase 3.2 ohm speakers
just about anywhere.

Also, it would be possible to use 3.2 ohm speakers
without damaging the 16 ohm output amplifier in a
couple of ways:

The first would be to use an audio transformer that
would match the 16 ohms to the 3.2 ohms.  This is
about a 5:1 ratio.  Believe it or not, a power
transformer made for 24 or 25.2 volt output with 120
volts input would work.  These are available at Radio
Shack.  However, the audio response may, or may not,
be acceptable.  He would have to "try" and see, some
power transformers make excellent audio transformers.
Frankly, a more "normal" filament transformer of the
12.6 volt variety should work fine as well.  You would
be surprised at what you can do with power
transformers.  You put the 120 volt winding to the
speaker terminals and the "low voltage" winding to the
speaker.

The other possibility is to put 4 or 5 of the speakers
in series ("assuming" that he has that many).  Either
solution would work.

Where there is a "will" there is a way!  Since "Will"
is on vacation, you are "stuck" with my opinions!

Glen, K9STH

--- Neil Morrison <neilsmorr at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

How do I convert my car from gas to diesel? Same
answer - you don't.

Weird ohm speakers - like 3 ohm - are usually meant to
go with a specific make and model of stereo and not be
mixed and matched.

If you can't find 16 ohm, get 2 pairs (4) of smaller 8
ohm and put them in series. Of course, you could get a
transformer to convert from 3 to 16 ohms, but that's
too weird.

http://im.yahoo.com/