Restoration Tips Needed for old gear

Chuck W4MIL CEMILTON at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 13 10:45:47 EDT 2001

In a message dated 8/13/01 8:52:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lists at HTI-INC.COM writes:

> I'd like some tips on the best war of cleaning this rig up and getting it
> running again.  It's an SB-104A series rig.
>
>  I'm afraid to plug it in and turn it on right now.  I have no desire to
> smoke the thing...

Jay,

IMHO, you have taken the most important step by NOT plugging it in to "see if
it plays"...........  Do you have the construction and operations manual?  I
have two of these beasts and they are pretty good rigs.  My first one was
purchased, assembled and used by a smoker.  I can appreciate your dilema!

I removed all plug in boards and patiently cleaned each one with Q-tips.
Used a mild detergent and distilled water.  Compressed air was used to blow
the residue away.  Special care must be given to inductors/etc......

I removed all plug-in IC's and cleaned each pin as well as the socket.  Used
De-Ox-It in miniscule amounts then once again purged the residue with
compressed air.  Re-bent each pin on each IC to ensure a tight fit upon
re-assembly.  You will be glad you did this step as many troubles in the 104A
are cured by cleaning/reseating the IC's and Re-Tightening EVERY screw in the
rig.  Back them off 1/4 turn and re-tighten.

Clean the board sockets on the mainframe with De-Ox-It.  Same with the pins
on the boards themselves.  Clean all switches and switch contacts in the same
manner. Next, make wiring checks and look for good solder connections.

I would suggest using the construction manual and spot check the wiring.
(Remove any mods if there are any)  Then, follow the preliminary test
procedures in the manual and finally do the alignment as described.   The
display board will need the same attention as the plug-in ones .....its just
a bit more tedious to clean.  The front panel and the red lens can be
dis-assembled and cleaned in warm soapy water as can the cabinet.

Thorough drying is in order before applying the juice.

These are good rigs and very forgiving.  You may encounter LMO difficulties
but they're not that difficult to repair.  If the driver and finals are
intact, you will be in business before you know it.

Lengthy message I realize, but after repairing numerous rigs of all types
over the years the slow, methodical approach has always worked best for me.
It also gives you time to really see the rig from the inside out ------ thus
a better understanding of how it works.  I am not a fan of placing
electronics in a dishwasher although there are those who swear by it.  Ones
mileage may vary!   Hi Hi

Good Luck es 73

W4MIL
Chuck