HR-10B Performance

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Wed Dec 5 10:49:13 EST 2001

On 11/28/01 12:40 AM, Alan KB7MBI at ARDUJENSKI at aol.com wrote:

>I was wondering if there is any info available for peaking the performance of
>the HR-10B other than the tune-up in the construction manual? Thanks

One modification I made to my HR-10B was to cut a series of slots in the
bottom chassis plate so I could access the tuning coil slugs.

As stock, the HR-10B requries you to remove the bottom plate in order to
gain access to the coils. When you put the plate on, it de-tunes the
coils somewhat. This is especially evident on 10m.

If cutting slots is too radical, you can also drill holes right above
each coil. This makes for much easier tuning.

The HR-10B isn't terribly sensitive on 10m. It also has pretty crummy
selectivity by modern standards. The stock AGC circuit isn't great,
either. Nor the stock stability.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901