VTVM w/RF Probe

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 12 19:08:47 EST 2001

You can find a VTVM on eBay from $1.00, or buy a DMM with a bar graph.
All you need is a high impedance meter that won't load 10 Megs.
You could try a good multimeter, and cobble a probe together. As long as it
indicates you should be OK, since you are looking for a relative indication.
You could even hack something together with an FET and a small meter.
I'm sure the ARRL handbook has some ideas, or look in the electronics
section in your local library.
I can send you a circuit for an RF Probe.

Regards,

Neil

----- Original Message -----
From: "ejforwood Jerold Forwood" <ejforwood at MSN.COM>

I have been away from working on ham equipment since the 70's now I am
trying to start to align a SB-401 Transmitter.  The manual calls for the use
of a VTVM with an RF Probe.  I asked a clerk at RadioShack.com what is used
today for this type of measurements? His reply was, "What's a VTVM?".
So now I pose the question here.  What do you use today, if you don't have
an old VTVM with an RF Probe?  I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg
for it.  I don't feel I need to spend enough on the meter to buy another
radio.

Thanks and 73's,
Jerry, K0EJF