Heathkit computers

Bob & Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Thu Dec 13 23:21:16 EST 2001

Oh, boy.  Now here's something I can chip in on.  I worked at Heathkit
from 1977 to 1981 in the ham radio group and remember my first 'real'
computer - one of the first H-89s off the line.  Before that I had one
of the 6800 Experimenter units with the expander box which I used with a
tape deck for storage/loading programs.  Had to borrow a terminal from
work to use that one!

Eventually wound up with 3 H-89s and 2 Z-100s.  Had a pair of 8" drives
on one of the H-89s for a while.  Eventually bought the first Z-100
(with a whopping 10MB hard drive) and wound up with 3 operating systems
on it (4 partions on the hard drive) - MSDOS, CPM, CPM86.  Had all the
neat software - Cobol, Microsoft Basic, Fortran, SuperCalc, WordStar.
Still have one H-89 and the 2 Z-100s.  All stored away.  Worth, of
course, zip.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY