HW-12 dial needed

Robert Nickels ranickel at MWCI.NET
Sat Dec 15 14:49:48 EST 2001

I'm scratching my head over this one...

I recently got an HW-12A single bander, and after fixing a couple of
other problems, got it going this morning. As I started tuning around I
was surprised to see that the dial stopped at 3.95 Mhz!   The coverage
is listed at 3.8 to 4.0 Mhz everywhere I've seen, but this dial has
calibration markings for coverage from 3.75 to 3.95 Mhz instead.

Was this an export model or something? This particular radio did come
from Canada, and was owned by a ham in Alaska at one time.

And now for the shameless begging:  Does anyone have a proper HW-12A
dial for sale?  (I think the HW-12 dial is the same).

I'd really be interested in the story behind this, as it isn't mentioned
in Chuck Penson's book or anywhere else that I've found.  The radio
appears to be "normal" in all other aspects, and this dial says "HW-12"
right on it...

Thanks and 73,
Bob W9RAN