HP-23 Question

Carl C. Miller Jr bugmarx at EV1.NET
Sun Dec 16 13:36:52 EST 2001

Hello All,

I am replacing one of the electrolytics in the high voltage (800 volts) section of the power supply. I have two questions:

1) I could not find an exact replacement for the cap at my favorite electronics store. I found a 100uF at 450 volts and also a 27uF at 450 volts. The voltage rating on the original is 500 volts. Could I parallel the 100 and 27uF caps and would they work okay without exceeding their voltage ratings?

2) Since I am replacing one of the two voltage doubler caps with an inexact replacement, should I replace the other with the same parallel combination to maintain some balance in the doubler circuit, or is balance even a question?

Thanks in advance,
Carl