IT-28 Capacitor Tester question

Charles W. Morehouse w4gbw at BREVARD.NET
Tue Dec 18 17:29:14 EST 2001

Hi Dave,
Have one and it is a fine tester. Put a new electrolytic cap on the tester and set the left lever switch to the type of cap. Turn the voltage switch to 3 volts. Move the right lever switch
through discharge to leakage. Increase the voltage a step at a time until you reach the rated voltage of the cap. Notice the eye will close and then slowly open at each step. If the eye doesn't
open the cap is leaking. On older caps the eye will be slow and may take hours. This is called reforming the cap. Experiment and you will get the hang of it. When finished reduce voltage to 3
v. ALWAYS discharge the cap after each test or you might get a jolt. Hopes this helps. Luck and 73's.
Wayne;
W4GBW