GC-1000 Most Accurate Clock Questions

Timc tconst at MEDIAONE.NET
Tue Dec 18 21:05:09 EST 2001

Hi all,
Been playing with my clock for a few days now after I finally uncovered it
from a stack of moving boxes.
I have been running it for the better of 15 years from 12V DC which keeps it
cool I am sure if kept it on AC it would have slowly cooked to death from a
bad power supply design.  Always accurate and now the LED's are getting
retro. I figure in a few years it might even look good enough for the rest
of the house.
It has some very quirky features however with the serial port such as the
clock year does not go past 1998 and time is off by one sec.

See for yourself! telnet to 65.96.182.71 port 2080

So the question is has anyone made any progress on upgrading the RS-232C
microprocessor U401 heath part 444-200 to go past 1998? A PIC might do it
but I do not have the expertise

Also can anyone determine the accuracy of the 3.6Mhz standard? I see 0's on
my counter but some of you I am sure have better counters

Have fun I am happy to be able to "share" my clock finally with others.

Regards
Tim C
W1TCC
Boston MA