SB-401 low output on 10 meters

Chuck Moore wcmoore at IX.NETCOM.COM
Mon Dec 24 21:17:26 EST 2001

I am trying to align a SB-401 and have been
successful in obtaining 100 watts out on
80 through 15 but 10 meters is being a pain.

The plate driver coil on the 6CL6 for the
10 meter position is all the way out and the
peak to peak voltage at the 6146 grids is
down 90 % of what it is on the lower bands.

When peaked the output power is about 15 watts.

Before I start tearing out the tuned circuit
with the plate inductor and 50 pf cap, is there
any other place I should look for another problem?

I have replaced the 6CL6 and 6146's with new tubes.
Also replaced the 6AW8 heterodyne oscillator due to
low output from the oscillator. Retuned the heterodyne
oscillator.

Would appreciate any ideas or past experience with
this problem.

Chuck WD4HXG