Frustration with HW-101 and SA-2500 -- Success is Near...

Mike Miller ka9rqw at HOME.COM
Thu Feb 1 01:48:37 EST 2001

Good news!  Thanks to the many helpful people here, I've managed to get my SA2500 working, just needing alignment.  Also, thanks to another very helpful individual, I have managed to obtain several of the tuning slugs I need to get my HW101 on the air.  I still have to replace them and get it aligned, but that should come soon.  I appreciate the assistance everyone has given me here, I'd never have achieved what I have without the help.  As soon as I get my units aligned and get my dipole up, I should be on the air.  Thanks again to all who helped!
        --Mike Miller, KA9RQW
          ka9rqw at home.com
          ka9rqw at hotmail.com
          ka9rqw at qsl.net

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Miller
  To: Heathkit Listserver
  Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 11:52 PM
  Subject: Frustration with HW-101 and SA-2500

  In desparation, I must ask for assistance.  I own two Heath units that I'd desperately like to get functioning.  I've got an HW-101 that I just completed construction on around a month or two ago that's only got output on 80 meters.  I've got nothing on any other bands.  Add to that the fact that I've managed to damage several of the tuning slugs along the way, and it becomes a real mess.  It was suggested by a friend that I ask here to see if anyone's got any ideas where to begin troubleshooting.  I found, upon initial application of power, that this rig went into transmit.  That problem was resolved quickly by connecting missing wires on the vox delay and vox gain.  Now, it appears like I've got reasonable power on 80, but nothing anywhere else.  I can't even get enough meter deflection to begin alignment.  Anyone know where to locate the slugs?  And, once they're found and replaced, anyone got a clue where to start looking?

  Unit number 2 is an SA-2500 auto antenna tuner with a non-functional inductor motor.  I had originally thought the motor driver transistor(s) may have been bad, but managed to trace it down to a flaky motor.  The motor was actually shorting at certain points in its rotation.  I rebuilt the motor, but now am back to thinking the transistor(s) could be bad.  I'm thinking that the short in the motor burned out the transistor(s). Anyone with any experience in these things?  Anyone know where I can find a cross reference from Heath part numbers to another manufacturer?

  Thanks!

          --Mike, KA9RQW

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov