fixing loose zero set dial on SB

Ken Ketner ketner at ARISBEASSOCIATES.COM
Sat Feb 3 08:22:20 EST 2001

Having a loose zero set dial (the zero set drive pulley was not
contacting the zero set dial), I could see no way to lower the pulley so
that it would contact the top of the zero set dial. Couldn’t find
anything in the manual, although it is probably there. I finally figured
it out. One has to loosen the main tuning dial shaft, and all the large
nuts across the bottom row of the front panel (phones, pots, bandswitch,
whatever on your particular SB) AND the two machines screws on the upper
left and right of the front panel. Those two machine screws and the
bottom row control nuts and the main tuning shaft (this has to be loose
too) govern the zero set dial and pulley relationship. Basically the
whole front panel has to go down so the zero set pulley can lower onto
the top of the zero set dial. The latter is held by the LMO and the
former is held by the front panel. Once you got the zero set dial and
pulley functioning, re-tighten the two machines screws, recheck, then
tighten the bottom row of big nuts and then the main tuning big shaft
with its slotted shaft (goes down to engage). As usual it works right if
you know what you are doing. Part of the fun of keepin ‘em flyin.
--

Ken Ketner
ARS KA5ELD
        home:   ketner at arisbeassociates.com