Reworking chromed knobs

Brian Sherwood lurch at THERAMP.NET
Mon Feb 5 09:01:55 EST 2001

What I have done, when the chrome has started to blister, is attack them
with WD-40 and a power-driven rotary wire brush [messy but effective] to
blow the original chrome off [in later years I found a jeweler's beadblaster
is less of a pain to accomplish this] then degreased in a methylene-chloride
vapor bath [no longer legal, but lacquer thinner works almost as well in
these environmentally-conscious times] to get the impurities out fo the
pores of the metal, then followed up with Tripoli compound, then Simichrome
brand rouge, on a flannel buffing wheel, then another degreasing to pull the
aluminum [?] oxide and buffing compound out of the pores of the metal.  What
this does is impart an almost-chrome look to the base metal of the knobs.
The buffing compounds and wheels I buy at Ace Hardware.

Frankly, unless you;'re already set up to do this, just take them to the
local custom Harley shop and ask to be referred to whoever they farm their
buffing out to.  It's a REALLY dirty, messy job that requires coveralls and
a face mask and a separate buffing room.  Do NOT try this within your house,
or anywhere else you don't want covered with a layer of oily, sooty oxide.

True chrome plating is copper, then nickel, then chrome.  Copper will bond
to the base metal [especially steel] better than nickel, and is
cheaper...the copper layer is nice and thick and is buffed out mirror-smooth
for the application of the nickel, which is what gives the shine.  The
chrome is a flash layer to protect the nickel and impart the bluish
tint...straight nickel plate is a little yellowish.  The little
do-it-yourself  ersatz chrome kits, plate nickel with a bit of cadmium
directly onto the workpiece--the cadmium is a tinting agent to give the
bluish tint reminiscent of chrome.  They do an OK job IF the workpiece is
glass-smooth and nonporous.  The problem is the porousness of those
castings.  How that ersatz plating holds up to abrasion and finger oils is
another story.

I bought my plating kit from caswell http://www.caswellplating.com

Another possibility is "Chrome-In-A-Can" [not a brand name, just a
politically-correct translation of what it's commonly called in these parts]
spray paint from the auto-parts store.  I haven't used it so I can't say
firsthand, but it is said to be indistinguishable from real chrome if done
right.  I'd try that first just because it's cheap and a little lacquer
thinner or acetone removes the paint if you don't like it without
permanently changing the underlying workpiece.

I HAVE used the silver-colored exhaust-header paint baked on the workpiece
for various stuff, and while it looks good, it doesn't look like chrome, it
looks like freshly beadblasted aluminum.

Perhaps if there's enough interest I can look into the costs of replating
those knobs.  There are some platers that cater to the medical-goods
industry that do small workpieces rather than most commercial platers who
are set up to do car bumpers and the like.  However, I gotta warn everyone
the prep on these fluted knobs, especially from a vendor who's used to
dealing with the medical industry, may well drive the price out of
consideration for most people.

Hope this helps

73 de ka9egw

advertising follows below--stop reading here if you don't like spam.

want to build a residual income from your home using your computer?
http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?623987
want to get paid a nickel cash for every piece of junk email you open?
http://www.mintmail.com/?m=258965