Detective work: HO-13 & SB-620 coils

myname myname at RCONNECT.COM
Tue Feb 6 15:55:49 EST 2001

Every now and then, I see guys on the lists looking for the various coils to change the HO-13 and SB-620 to different rcvr IF's.  I have uncovered an old blueprint of those coils and I am posting the pertinent data here to whom it may concern.

I hope this does someone somewhere out there some good.  Maybe some of you old Heath guys can look at this and tell us what is pertinent so we can see if there's anything out there available that is close enough to be a replacement without to much hassle.

To wit:

The 455 coil for the HO-13 is P/N 588 and has the following characteristics:

Range: ( mH) 117(max) to 275 (min)
Preset:  123 ±5% @ 790 kHz.
"Q": minimum @ 790 kHz.: 57 measured with 2 1/4" leads to Q-meter
Min. wire size: 3/41 litz
Wire type: S. Cel. Poly.
No. of turns:  Universal 133
% of total turns from start to tap:  23%
Viewed from above (screw adj. end):
Start: lug #3 @ 6 o'clock
Tap: lug #2 @ 9 o'clock
Finish: lug #1 @ 12 o'clock
Winding: Clockwise
Staple lugs not to protrude inside coil form
Form to withstand 1000 VAC terminals to core
Must snap into 5/16" hole in 14 ga. aluminum

P/N 589 was this high IF coil for the HO-13:

Range: ( mH) 12(max) to 31(min)
Preset:  23.6 ±10% @ 2.5 MHz.
"Q": minimum @ 2.5 MHz.: 80, measured with 2 1/4" leads to Q-meter
Min. wire size: 3/41 litz
Wire type: S. Cel. Poly.
No. of turns:  Universal 43
% of total turns from start to tap:  20%
Start: lug #3 @ 6 o'clock
Tap: lug #2 @ 9 o'clock
Finish: lug #1 @ 12 o'clock
Winding: Clockwise
Staple lugs not to protrude inside coil form
Form to withstand 1000 VAC terminals to core
Must snap into 5/16" hole in 14 ga. aluminum

On the SB-620, P/N's 775 & 776 are the same as 588 & 589 respectively, but the have a 4th (dummy) lug at 3 o'clock.

I also have data for SB-620 coil P/N's 774, 807 & 808.  I don't know the application.  E-mail if you need them.

73 es best DX
Tom NØJMY
Author: "I was a teen-age face-plate driller"

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov