SB-303/610 IF question

Chuck Penson wa7zze at JUNO.COM
Tue Feb 6 21:55:09 EST 2001

Got this query from a fellow yesterday. Am hoping someone can help him.
Please respond directly to him.

Thanks -- Chuck / WA7ZZE

From: "Norton, Dennis J" <Dennis.Norton at usa.xerox.com>

I am setting up my SB303/401 combination at the main operating position.
All
is well with these 2 units--they function together just fine. I wanted to
extract the IF signal on the 303 to a rear panel jack in order to fire it
over to the 610 to watch the received signal. I had previously equipped
my
SB102 in such a way by adding the internal coax and picking up from
somewhere in the IF through a cap that was between 1 and 10 pf in
value--worked just fine. Now I want to do the same for the 303. The sb610
book predates the 303 and does not discuss the hook-up. The tech
bulletins
available on KB9JJA's web site talk about about picking up the signal
from
the collector of Q503 through a 1uf cap. I tried that and the if
oscillated
as soon as the cap is connect top the 610. I wondered what kind of 1uf
(wound foil, lytic, npo????),. I also wondered if the 1uf was a mistake
and
tried .1uf, .001uf etc--no signal at the scope and it killed the IF into
oscillation. The co-ax that I am using between the jack, and the board
internal is RG174, and from the 303 to the 610 is a piece of RG58. The
610
is set up for an IF freq of 3395. Any ideas on what is wrong and how to
make
it work??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis Norton  W2DJN