Neutralization

Steve and Anne Ray sbralr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Feb 10 09:30:48 EST 2001

I have had my HW-101 steadily in use since I built it in 1976, over the
years I have replaced the every 4 or 5 years, the first 6146 with 6146, then
6146A and finally 6146B.  All of them lasted 4 or 5 years and the 6146A
lasted about 7 years, I then replaced the 6146A since I had the final cage
open to clean out some dust (arcing over).  I have had 6146B for about 4
years now and going strong.

I have found a pair 6146B can put out approx. 90 W on 10 meters and approx
125-130 watts on 80 meters.   To spare the power supply and tubes I never
run them more then 100 W.

I believe the secret of my success is that I neutralize the finals per the
Heath Service Bulletin, (see KB9JJA web site
http://members.accessus.net/~dwentz/kb9jja/heathkit/
this involves peaking  the rig on 10 meters then shutting it down, waiting
for the power supply capacitors to discharge and then disconnecting the
screen and plate voltage and adjusting the neutralization capacitor, then
firing up the rig again, without moving the tuning controls.   I found that
the neutralization (min rf voltage) was much better this way, then the way
in the manual where you simply adjust for max output/min plate current.
REMEMBER YOU ARE WORKING AROUND HIGH VOLTAGE AND IT CAN KILL.

Good luck

73,
Steve Ray K4JPN ex K1VKW
HW-101, HW-8, Elecraft K2 1422