Unbuilt Kit Mania

Brian Carling bcarling at CFL.RR.COM
Sun Feb 11 18:21:16 EST 2001

On 11 Feb 2001, at 18:16, KD2E wrote:

> Brian... Yes, I've built radio kits on many things like cake tins. (Worse
> with the boy scouts)
> My point was that a company offering kits built on such platforms will not
> be the one to replace Heathkit.
> Nice looking finished cabinets (like Heath) with today's technology will.
> ...Dave

Interesting thoughts Dave - although if you are talking about using the TECHNOLOGY
that Heath supplied in the 1960s, I doubt it...

The only companies offering hams nicely finished kits today are TenTec and Elekraft.
I seriously doubt that either is making a great commercial success out of supplying
kits but rather does it for the joy as much as the money.

I could be wrong, but I will say this - there will NEVER be another Heathkit Co.

Just my 2 pesos.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov