Neutralize finals

Stewart D. Lyon slyon at PACIFICNET.NET
Mon Feb 12 18:49:46 EST 2001

Greg,
The problem is you are trying to measure RF with a AC/DC voltmeter. You need
a method of rectifing the RF into DC such as a RF Probe.

One method you could try is to increase the sensitivity of the existing Rel
Pwr circuit in the HW-101. This could be done by shorting out the 10K
resistor that connects to the antenna relay. I don't have a HW manual but on
the SB-101, it's R913. Then with the meter switch in some other position
than REL PWR, put your voltmeter between the "banded" end of the diode
(CR901?)and ground. It should give you a very sensitive indication.  Just
don't forget to remove the short when you are finish or you will be in the
market for a new diode.

The method of neutralizing that you are trying to use does a much better job
than the method in the manual.

73, Stu W6CUX

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Hockenjos" <nunu726 at lycos.com>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 9:08 AM
Subject: Neutralize finals

> Hello. I have tried the method of neutralizing the finals on my hw-101
that is described by removing the 100 ohm resistor from pins 3 on V8 and V9
and disconnecting the red wire going into the final cage. When I try to get
a reading I get no voltage, ac or dc with the volt meter probe in the
antenna jack and the ground grounded, with the mic gain up or turned down.
Am I missing something? The radio neutralizes by the heath way in the manual
by turning the screw and checking minimum plate current and maximum power
out at the same setting. Greg.

http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov