Gr-64 and tube glue....

Guy G. Giacopuzzi DDS ggg3dds at JS-NET.COM
Tue Jan 2 22:44:18 EST 2001

My first SWL set was a GR-64.  In later years, when I was able to
compare this set with others, I would put the 64' against any other four
tuber made.  It' s certainly more sensitive.  The BFO tends to act like
a regenerative control, and careful tweaking with AM signals can really
bring in weak ones.  If you want to "soup it up", adding an RF stage, a
la William Orr's, makes it comparable to a GR-54, maybe even a bit
better.  Add both the GD-125 Q-multiplier and the RF amp, and you've got
selectivity and all the sensitivity you'd ever need, especially on the
infamous Band D.

...RE "tube glue"...

    This advice is now professional...I'm a dentist by profession, and I
have to bond to porcelain--glass--several times a week.  Get you hands
on some hydrofluric acid.  It comes in 40%--you should cut it down to
20%.  BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL--THIS STUFF IS DANGEROUS...DO YOUR DILUTING
AND MIXING OUTSIDE...IT CAN BURN YOU ...Use gloves...
Practice on an old tube...I think three--four minutes with the 20%
usually produces a decent etch...use a cotton pledget to apply the
acid...then etch the area you want to bond/glue to--probably around the
base of the tube. During the etch time, keep the area you are etching
wet with the acid...if you let it dry, you spoil the bond.  Rinse with
water about 30 seconds, dry, then use epoxy, crazy glue (cyanoacrylate)
or a plastic cement--like a polystyrene model glue--whatever you know
will bond to the base.  If you etch the glass first, most of these will
work...the thinner the viscosity, the better the bond (I'd use
cyanoacrylate).  If you don't etch the glass, you're simply filling the
space between the glass and the base , and you can't ever grab the
envelope expecting the base to go with it.  You can order hydrofluric
acid at a phamacy.  It isn't expensive.  I bought a single bottle in
1983...about a liter...and I'm only half way thru it.  It has other
uses, as there are many other places in this world where gluing
something to glass is important...

ggg

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov