HW-101 Lever

Bob Nickels ranickel at MWCI.NET
Sat Jan 6 11:41:51 EST 2001

> I have been fussing with the HW lever knob problem for a while. I wonder
> if one could take a current lever knob with the insert already in and
> then make a mold of that shape.

I posted the following to another group several weeks ago in response to the
same type of question.   For the lever knob, perhaps some type of
reinforcement
could be added prior to casting the part.

I hope this encourages someone who has the time to experiment to give this
proven technology for reproducing small quantities of plastic parts a try:

I'm not an moldmaking expert (and I don't play one on TV!)  - but I have
discussed the "art" of replica-making with some guys who are, and it's a
pretty well-established technique used by model makers, artists, etc.    Put
simply, you use a pourable rubber compound to make a mold using a good part
as the template.    Here are a couple of websites that feature a variety of
mold-making supplies:
http://www.rubbermoldcompounds.com/
http://www.synair.com/index.html

After curing, you coat the inside with mold release, and cast your replica
out of a suitable casting resin such as Synair's "Por-A-kast"
http://www.synair.com/products/pak/index.html.   It pours like water so you
can pick up even the smallest detail - this is how the guys who make
replicas of antique radio knobs do it.    After the material cures, you can
machine, sand, and finish the part to you liking.  (Depending on the shape
of the part, you might have to split the mold in half so you can get the
part out after it's cured).

I've not tried this, but I've seen others do it and it sure looks simple
enough and once you get familiar with the process, there is essentially no
limit to what you can make!   Not an endorsement of their products, but you
may be able to find the Synair products at a large art supply store, or at
www.dickblick.com

Pricing and 90 minute instructional video can be found at:
http://www.db-secure.com/zz335/08/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=2039

73, Bob W9RAN

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov