HW-101 Lever/Fessin up time

MIKE SOUHRADA wb9iog at REVEALED.NET
Sat Jan 6 23:02:51 EST 2001

Well guess after all these posts I'll let you know that I've done it.
Forget the injection molding process. With my years of experience in
manufacturing I knew that was NOT an economical option. Maybe today it
is with new technologies but I doubt it. In my day $15,000 for a
multiple mold was par for the course.

KISS principle. I used modeling plaster to form a new lever knob
from a good one with the metal insert removed.
I used craft paints for an almost perfect match. For the material
I used J&B Weld, that's really neat stuff. Was concerned about strength
but it turned out very well and appeared to be as strong if not
stronger than the original material.
The insert went in just fine as there was enough give in J&B Weld to
not crack.

If I had to do it over again I'd try a better grade of plaster as the
stuff shrunk slightly; a finer artists grade might be easier to use.
This was the cheapest practical way to replicate that durn lever knob.
Also it helps to lubricate the two switches and slide that the lever
actuates, so they slide freely. I suspect some of those broken levers
resulted from faulty assembly of that mechanism. In addition lube the
switches themselves.
Mike
Iowa

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov