Help with SB-301

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Sun Jan 7 10:42:29 EST 2001

I've had two AGC problems with my SB receivers. My SB-310 had an
intermittent problem where the AGC would just quit, then come back.
Needless to say it was making the radio difficult to use. In the end, it
was the 6BA6 1st IF AMP tube (V6). After some time on the scope, I got it
down to the tube, replaced it and problem solved. By the way, the tube
tested Very Good on my tester.

Second problem was on my SB-301. After going from transmit to receive (I
have SB-301/401 combo), the receiver was very slow to come back...Like the
RF from transmit was/had knocked out the receiver. It had! I did some
voltage measurements with the radio hooked up and transmitting into a dummy
load, and saw that the AGC line had very high voltage on it from RF getting
into it. Traced it back to terminal strip "A" (under the RF gain pot). The
actual AGC line had never been soldered (since day one) and the line was
floating. Rig never worked right since it was built. Soldered the lead,
problem fixed.

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU
---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM on 01/07/2001

KD2E <ham at CYBERCOMM.NET>@LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV> on 01/06/2001 09:48:20 PM

Please respond to KD2E <ham at CYBERCOMM.NET>

Sent by:  Heathkit Owners and Collectors List <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>