Question: HW-101 Mods That are NOT Service Bulletin MODS

Morrow, Michael A. mamorrow at TVA.GOV
Wed Jan 17 15:34:08 EST 2001

Hello All!

I've just recently joined this list, and I have reviewed every message in
the archives for the last 25 months that had a "101" in it.  I need someone
to help refresh my memory.

I built an HW-101 in 1976 and made some mods to it in 1980 based on Heath
Service Bulletins:

(1)  Replaced Elmenco 6AU6s (4) that may have had 5v filaments.
(2)  Changed R107 to 1-watt 100K from the original 1/2-watt.
(3)  Dial lamps changed to #47.

I made a couple of other mods for which I've found no reference in the
Service Bulletin files, and for which I can't recall the source and
*purpose* now 21 years later:

(4)  Replaced R106 with 33K 1-watt from the original 22K 1-watt.
(5)  Added a 1M resistor from the hot side of C109 to the hot side ("3")
      of the meter zero potentiometer.

Can anyone help me remember what the benefit of these last two mods were
supposed to be?  In particular, mod (5) above leaves me a little puzzled.
I've just received this HW-101 back after a 20-year loan to a friend, and
now in the interest of boatanchor purity I'm trying to eliminate mods not
specified by Heath service bulletins unless the mod is of particular value.

73,
                        Mike / KK5F

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov