Heathkits from hell

Domenic M. Mallozzi DMallozzi at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 24 19:52:46 EST 2001

In a message dated 1/24/01 10:43:18 PM !!!First Boot!!!, k7ny at HOTMAIL.COM
writes:

<< HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV >>

Hi

Quite a few friends who are both hams and engineers always said build it like
the book first than modify it.

There are some real horror stories about what I will call "concurrent"
engineering of Heathkits. Some people actually reengineered them during the
construction phase. My favorite was a 'redesign' of a SB301 by a local ham
that actually decreased the IF gain by something like 20 dB. It took a KW in
the next room to get an S9 signal.

As with any kit build as designed than correct the real problems.

73's all

Dom
N1DM

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov