Sage advice

J. Werner, W8QA W8QA at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 29 21:37:30 EST 2001

Gentlemen:

The subscribers to this list have provided me with sage advice on more than
one occasion, and I really appreciate it.  Would you please consider helping
me again?

I lusted after the SB-101 / SB-102 transceivers when I was a teenager.
Working after school as a janitor in a medical complex, my paychecks just
wouldn't go far enough to buy one.  To this day, I think they're some of the
best looking radios ever made, bar none.

A fellow at "the other place" listed an SB-102 for auction, but his starting
price was so high that it drew no bids.  Since the auction ended, he and I
have swapped E-mails, and he's offering to sell me the SB-102, SB-600, a
non-Heath power-supply, and a non-Heath phone patch for $325.

Yes, I know that the price is high, but there's nary a speck of dust on these
units.  He claims that they've been put away for years, and they really look
like they have.  The power-supply is very nicely built.  Ditto for the phone
patch.

OK, please help me make a logical decision.  My emotions are really making
this decision difficult.  This radio is all original, unmodified, and there's
not so much as a scrape on the paint.  That being the case, is $325 too much
to pay for it?  I've seen more complete SB-102 stations at Dayton for half
that much money, but not in the same condition.

If you were me, what would you do?  Thank you in advance for your advice!
Best DX and

Very 73,

John, W8QA

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov