DX-35 DX-40 crystal cover

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 15 19:19:08 EDT 2001

The "prototypes" of the crystal covers worked out
fine.  However, need to use heavier sheet steel (the
cabinet is steel, not aluminum).  All that was
available locally on Sunday was 30 gauge.  The cabinet
is either 26 or 24 gauge.  Will look tomorrow for a
source of the heavier metal.  Because of the small
size, scraps from an airconditioning company, etc.
will work fine.

I have two questions:  How many of the bent "clip"
areas are on the bottom (the area that "clips" onto
the cabinet) and what are the size(s)?

The "prototypes" have two of these 0.5 inches from
each side and 0.5 inches long.  These hold well.

Painted the sheet steel with primer and then black
wrinkle paint.  When that hardens ( spray can says 24
hours) will "overspray" with gray paint.

Actually I would rather work with sheet steel since it
is much easier to bend (doesn't "crack" like aluminum
can).  This is especially true on the small, offset,
bends on the "clip" areas.

I made the "clip" areas on the "prototypes" 0.5 inches
because I have a "hand bender" that easily does that
size.

Anyway, this information is for the many who expressed
an interest in the crystal covers for the DX-35 and
DX-40.

Glen, K9STH