HW101 oscillation/carrier supression

John Wb5Oau johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jul 21 16:23:02 EDT 2001

I'm working on a recent acquisition that "worked perfectly" (and might
have, if CW is all one used).

The issue is, on 20m (have not checked other bands) if I set the driver preselector such that it peaks the output (and the receive
sensitivity) there's about a 10W carrier that is present when
keying the mic in either sideband. Tuning slightly off frequency
(w/driver preselector) makes it go away...but then it  takes
the drive away too!

I vaguely remember such a problem with my original 101 (that this
is to replace).

Any hints? I know that the two variable caps that the Driver/Presel
tunes are "in synch".

Where to go first to fix such a thing? I have not tried it on
other bands to see if this is an issue. I just fixed the dirty bias
pot that prevented proper setting of the bias. There's lots of signal
(nearly 100w out on 20m) so the rig is working well. Modulation looks
fine too, if I could just get rid of the oscillation/unwanted carrier.

Any and all help gratefully appreciated.

Rgds
John wb5oau/4

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov