Re Rays Inverter Question.

Wb5Kxh Wb5Kxh wier at CALCITE.ROCKY.EDU
Fri Jul 27 11:46:29 EDT 2001

>Ray.. I have used inverters for many things, most notably running an expensive laptop in my motor home. Providing you buy one big enough to handle the load you

I also run a laptop in the car (to talk to my GPS) and haven't had any
particular problems with a 300w Vector inverter except one (which seems
pretty universal) ...

If the inverter is on, and the 12V incoming DC goes to zero for a while
(anything from 1/4 sec to 15 days :-) The inverter typically does NOT
reset and start putting out 120ACV (or whatever). In all the models I've
tried, you had to actually cycle the power switch off and then back on
again.

This is a major pain if I stop, say for gas. Kill the ignition, fill up,
restart - but the inverter doesn't come back on. There have been a number
of times that I've drained the battery in my laptop even when connected to
the inverter because I didn't notice the red LED being lit on the unit due
to bright sunlight, etc.

The more expensive brands (ie, Heart, etc) may not have this shortcoming?
Can anyone say?

THANKS & 73s de WB5KXH --Bob W.

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov