Painting aluminum

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Fri Jul 27 23:51:59 EDT 2001

I use a different technique which could work for you if you live in a large
enough metro area. I made friends with the owner of a local sheet metal shop
that has "Brite-Dip" tanks to etch and anodize aluminum. After sanding the
aluminum (which they can do much nicer than I can with one pass through a
sanding machine), they run it through the chemical tanks to do a caustic
etch (which you are simulating with Lye), followed by a cleaning process and
finally alodine coat. If you're nice, they may just do it for free; it
doesn't take long (I used to hand dip my homebrew chassis in the tanks at HP
back when we actually manufactured stuff). The shop I use can also do
silk-screening, so you can take them a photographic master and they'll silk
screen it too (but
they will charge you for that - it's time consuming and uses resources).
Inbetween the etching and silk-screening, I take the piece home and
spray-paint it. I found that a Hammerite finish looks real good -- better
than the old wrinkle finish. If you're interested in the results, e-mail me
and I'll send you a small jpeg of my restored 1966 6146B transmitter. Tried
to post it here, but the jpeg was too big for the list.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of Fred Holnagel
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 7:47 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Painting aluminum

The idea of using lye is a good one, however don't make too strong a
solution!  I tried some on a small part one time and forgot it was in the
little plastic pail.  About two hours later I went to check and the part
was gone!  Like the previous writer says, it will turn black and when
it's fairly uniform rinse it in cold water quick! Fred W7PRV

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov