Troubleshooting a Heath im-5228 VTVM

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jul 30 01:23:22 EDT 2001

I presume you've checked the tubes, right?  What you describe sounds like
one side of the
bridge isn't producing.

Another thought:  There's an adjustment pot inside the case; three of them,
in fact.  The one I
have in mind is called, as I recall, DC BAL.

When the meter is operating properly and warmed up, you should be able to
switch it off, zero
the meter (by adjusting the mechanical zero screw) and then turn it back on
again, without having
the meter move after the initial transient.

If DC BAL is set properly, you should be able to switch from DC+ to DC- to
AC, and still not
have the needle move.

One thing I've encountered in a few meters is that someone has tried to
compensate for poor
alignment by diddling with the mechanical zero. You might check that first.
Then check DC BAL.

Jack