Propane torch unsoldering.

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Fri Jun 1 22:41:14 EDT 2001

Don't laugh - I've seen it done.

A friend who I first met when I got my license used to buy parts from
"Poly-Paks  (Packs?)" but the word amongst the rest of us was that PolyPaks
sold factory floor sweepings, allegedly parts swept up at the end of
production lines. He didn't care...the rest of us had our own idea of
arbitrary component standards...kind of analogous to resenting someone
picking up your hamburger patty after dropping it on the floor and slipping
it back on the roll.

He also used to pull parts from pcboards...I did that too, no problem,
mostly passive components. He'd pull IC's with the torch, pliers gripping
the body, flashing all the leads, give it a yank and toss it into a glass of
water to cool it rapidly.

We thought he was nuts, but he claimed some (arbitrary) statistical level of
success. But he used to talk about nanoseconds too, so I think he was
dimensionally challenged.

Murray

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov