Propane torch unsoldering.

john johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jun 2 11:33:19 EDT 2001

I suspect that this is a safer method that one might think. With a torch,
the heat would not have as much time to propagate through the lead
frame as it would with a soldering iron.

I've done this before by grabbing subject through hold PCB, warming
an area with a fan shaped flame for a couple seconds, then IMMEDIATELY
giving it a sharp rap on the workbench. I always kept my eyes closed when
rapping...a smarter person might use goggles.

Worked great and I betcha MUCH less stressful on components than
heatsoaking 'em with solder wick or a solder sucker.

73
John

At 10:41 PM 6/1/01 -0400, Multi-Volti Devices wrote:
>Don't laugh - I've seen it done.
>
>A friend who I first met when I got my license used to buy parts from
>"Poly-Paks  (Packs?)" but the word amongst the rest of us was that PolyPaks
>sold factory floor sweepings, allegedly parts swept up at the end of
>production lines. He didn't care...the rest of us had our own idea of
>arbitrary component standards...kind of analogous to resenting someone
>picking up your hamburger patty after dropping it on the floor and slipping
>it back on the roll.
>
>He also used to pull parts from pcboards...I did that too, no problem,
>mostly passive components. He'd pull IC's with the torch, pliers gripping
>the body, flashing all the leads, give it a yank and toss it into a glass of
>water to cool it rapidly.
>
>We thought he was nuts, but he claimed some (arbitrary) statistical level of
>success. But he used to talk about nanoseconds too, so I think he was
>dimensionally challenged.
>
>Murray

'name' 'call'"
>Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov