CURIOUS

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Wed Jun 13 20:30:22 EDT 2001

I bought an SB-102/600/640 off E-Blecch last year and put it to good use on
Field Day when a modern transistorized rig croaked. I always wanted one when
I was high school and college, but couldn't afford it, and when I finally
could, in 1973, I got enamored by a Kenwood TS-900 instead (there were too
many bad stories about the SB-104 floating around). A friend's dad recently
*gave* me an SB-200 and HW-8, which I haven't fired up yet. I don't tend to
use linears, but I may use that one just for the fun of dipping the plate
current again. I also don't tend to use QRP, but once I get the HW-8 fired
up I think I'll use it once in a while.

My GR-64 still works, and I use it once in a while in the shack to listen to
the broadcast bands.

My VF-1 works, and I use it once in a while with my old homebrew 6146B rig
(built from the 1966 Radio Amateur's handbook), but it's mostly for
memories. (Have an unbuilt VF-1 too, in original box, and Chuck Penson'll be
pleased to know that I don't plan to build it, even though it is SO
tempting!) You can see it and the tx and an NC-270 receiver and an HM-15 SWR
meter and an HD-10 keyer (all of which work) at www.qrz.com (search for
W0DZ). You'll also see me in 1966 and again in 1999, keying the same rig! A
few more gray hairs though.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of rayfri
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 1:01 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: CURIOUS

This may seem like a silly question... and if so, I apologize... and
please
indulge my curiousity.
I'm curious as to how many of the group on here who have or collect
units
like the HW single banders and the sixers, twoers and teners are
actually
using them on the air rather than just having them in the collections.
I surmise that there is a lot of use of the sb 300/400 series and the
100 and
101's, but I've wondered how much of the other equipment is actually
used
on the air rather than just collection items to look at and bring back
fond memories
of yesteryear....
ray  wa7itz

'name' 'call'"