HW101 wandering Smeter, and jackson drive question

john johnmb at MINDSPRING.COM
Sun Jun 24 09:00:53 EDT 2001

I've recently found a HW101 to replace the one I built (and sold,
unfortunately)
some years ago. The unit I have now is a nice one, but I'd like to correct
two quirks.

1) The s-meter starts out cold, at about s8. After about 20 minutes it settles
to a correct s-0 reading on a quiet background w/no antenna connected.
ALC seems to be operating normally and the radio seems to have excellent
sensitivity even when cold, so I think the meter really is malfunctioning.
Meter
behavior is fine otherwise.

Any ideas?

2) There's a point in the vfo travel where there's a little binding....not
much
but I suspect that some of the grease in the Jackson drive(s?)  is gummy.
Is there a way to get to re-lube without major surgery? I remember the
VFO as one of the least favorite things to build when I did my 101.

Great radio, and I'm glad to have one again....anyone have a CW filter
for sale?

Thanks for any hints
John

John Brewer - WB5OAU/4