HW101 wandering Smeter, and jackson drive question

Bob Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Sun Jun 24 12:37:47 EDT 2001

I'll make a pure stab at this .. at the risk of being way off base.  But
here goes:

john wrote:

> 1) The s-meter starts out cold, at about s8. After about 20 minutes it settles
> to a correct s-0 reading on a quiet background w/no antenna connected.
> ALC seems to be operating normally and the radio seems to have excellent
> sensitivity even when cold, so I think the meter really is malfunctioning.
> Meter behavior is fine otherwise.

I would suspect a leaky capacitor somewhere in the AGC/meter driver
circuitry.  I think if you started backward (meter on back to AGC) and
watched 'stuff' you could run it down.  A hot air gun used judiously on
suspect components might help pin it down.  As well as a little freeze
mist here and there.

> 2) There's a point in the vfo travel where there's a little binding....not
> much  but I suspect that some of the grease in the Jackson drive(s?)  is gummy.
> Is there a way to get to re-lube without major surgery?

I might try a little judious (sp?) use of WD-40 around the back of the
drive - plus cotton swab action here and there.  It might also be the
bearings on the capacitor getting 'gummy' with the years.  You can try
the same thing there (but harder to get into).  Might also want to clean
and lubricate the rotor wiper while you'll messing around.

Happy troubleshooting!

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov