SB-221 Relay Problem

Thomas Beltran tbeltran at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jun 30 11:42:01 EDT 2001

Thanks to all who responded.  It is fixed, and the remedy although very
simple, was probably RF as almost everyone suggested.  First, let me say
that for me, the hardest things to troubleshoot are those problems that
appear out of nowhere, where just previously, things worked fine.  I try to
find out what changed, cutting off possible remedies.  In any case, I tried
all kinds of things that mysteriously worked for a transmission or two and
then the relay sticking returned.  For example, I was talking with IT9PKO
last night, and the relay started to stick - I just touched the panel and
the relay released!  That "worked" a few times and then stopped "working."

What I did was finally, to reverse the plug that goes from the relay jack on
the amp, to the Drake T4XC power supply.  I had fabricated the Drake
replacement for the two pronged plug out of plastic and two small pieces of
drill rod, and cut the end off a patch cord for the wire.  This morning, I
got the idea that perhaps the braid of the connection was not on the
grounded side of things, thereby being vulnerable to RF.  I reversed the
plug (there are no markings for plus or minus on the Drake power supply) and
it works fine.  Oddly, for the past 6 months it has worked fine.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded - I appreciate the help.  Tom W6EIJ

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov