Paint for SB series

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 5 12:15:43 EST 2001

There are several shades of paint that Heath used for
the SB-Line cabinets.  I have SB-301, SB-303, SB-401,
SB-110A, and two SB-600 speakers.  Only two of them
had the same color cabinets!  Since all of them needed
new paint jobs, I went looking for an "off the shelf"
product.

Krylon 2018 Light Sage Gloss was an almost exact match
for the two items that had the same color cabinets.
Therefore, I repainted all of them using this color.
It is on the "lighter" side of the range used by
Heath, but not the lightest in my collection.

Also, Krylon has a very good match to the color used
on the panel of the SB-600.  That is 3512 Sage Satin.
Since the SB-600 has no lettering on it, I repainted
both of my panels.

Krylon paint is available at home handyman centers
like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  However, I have found
the best selection of Krylon paints to be at WalMart!
That is where I bought the cans that I use.

You can buy paint from a number of amateur radio
sources that is "perfectly" matched to a particular
case.  However, that paint may, or may not, be the
same shade as your original cabinet.  Since I am a
believer in the principles of conservation of my
energy and my finances (you can read "cheap" and
"lazy"), I found that the Krylon at about $3 per can
did as good a job for me as the "perfectly matched"
pain at about $10 per can plus shipping.

There are colors in the Rustoleum brand that are a
very good match to Collins S-Lines, etc.  If you look
around at a good paint store, you can find paint that
looks very much like the original without having to
resort to custom made paints.  Of course, especially
with Collins, the "purest" among us will say that you
MUST use the "exact" match paint.  But, 99+% of
amateurs cannot tell the difference of paint in
equipment sitting in the shack.  If you put an
original and a repaint job side-by-side in the "right"
light, you can see the difference.  Otherwise . . . .

Glen, K9STH