Cleaning Front Panels

Kees & Sandy Talen talen at INETPORT.COM
Tue Mar 6 20:44:17 EST 2001

Thought I'd share this, it may help.....

I've cleaned a few front panels and being of the "if it won't
move, get a bigger hammer" and "better living through
chemistry" mindset, I usually try Windex, AmourAll, Goo
Gone, WD-40, Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetone, MEK...in that
order, to remove stubborn gunk, stickers, ink lettering etc
from panels and cabinets.

While this works great on military gear, commercial test
equipment, Collins, and some others...on Heathkits (I won't
even try Acetone and MEK), the first 5 all tend to also
soften the wrinkle finish, smear and fade the lettering and
generally evoke the "Oh, $&!+ what have I done".

Recently for some cleaning of fingerprints, some smoke
residue, and general grime from 3 Heathkits, I cleaned the
front panels with warm water, Ivory soap, and a small
brush. Really cleaned it up, no affect on the paint, lettering
is crisp and actually looks better.

73s  Kees K5BCQ

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov