OT: Id'ing an early radio

Bob Wier wier at CALCITE.ROCKY.EDU
Sun Mar 18 22:25:30 EST 2001

What follows is a cross post from the Texas (USA) History
Mailing list. I've dropped them a note that a crystal set did
not require any batteries. On the other hand, the box looks a bit
large for a crystal set, so it could have been battery operated.

If you have an opinion, kindly drop a note to bhamilt at worldnet.att.net
after taking a look at the photo.

THANKS & 73s de WB5KXH

              Bob Wier
     mailto:wier at calcite.rocky.edu
   20:24 GMT Sunday, March 18, 2001
    Rocky Mountain College, Billings MT.
 keeper of the Photo-3d and Overland-Trails
mailing lists and the USA GPS Waypoint server

>Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:27:06 -0500 (EST)
>From: H-Texas Editor Jeri L. Reed <tex-edit at mail.h-net.msu.edu>

The following comes from an H-Texas subscriber who is in the middle of
finishing a published history of Terry County, Texas (just south of
Lubbock). She asked for advice on an interesting picture, and I thought
that expanding the query to H-West might bring in some more information.
So far we have received opinions that this was somewhat early for crystal
radio use, and that it may be a device somehow connected with a lightning
rod. Has anyone ever seen a contraption like that pictured?

Jeri L. Reed
Co-Editor, H-Texas
<tex-edit at mail.h-net.msu.edu>