(no subject)

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 26 10:25:38 EDT 2001

Very occasionally, the voltage will drop to about 122
volts.  Then, I wonder what is going wrong!

Modern equipment is now being spec'd at either 120 or
125 volts instead of the 110 to 117 volts of
"yesteryear".  Also, a lot of the "boat anchor" type
of equipment was specified to work from 105 to at
least 125 volts.

I have a pair of Collins S-Lines, the Heath
SB-301/SB-401, SB-110A, and a lot of other boat anchor
equipment that I use on a regular basis.  I have not
had a single transformer, capacitor, or tube failure
in 29 years at my house due to voltage.  A few tubes
have just "wore" out in that time frame, but nothing
major.  These have been used in all sorts of contests
over the years including DX, SS, VHF-SS, etc.

The only transformer problem that I ever had was with
my original DX-100.  The HV transformer shorted out
while I was in college in Atlanta, Georgia, (Georgia
Tech) in 1965.  After I graduated and moved to Texas,
I got a "brillant" idea one day and removed the
transformer from the chassis, inverted it and placed
it directly on the "big" burner on the kitchen
electric stove and "cooked" it on high for about a
half-hour.  The "tar" got real "bubbly", but, when I
put the transformer back in the DX-100 it worked fine!
 Still going over 35 years later.

Glen, K9STH

--- Gerald Lemay <w1id at fcgnetworks.net> wrote

If my line voltage ran as high as yours, I'd
definitely take precautions. Thanks for the
enlightenment.