HK TV

Brian Wood brianmwood at EMAIL.MSN.COM
Sat May 26 23:34:27 EDT 2001

I built a GR-295. My dad ordered it in 1966 when I was 15 and I put it
together over the Christmas holidays. Got it working in time to watch the
New Year's Day football games! I remember that he had ordered a GR-25, but
it came in as a GR-295. That's because Heath changed the numbering to
indicate the number of square inches on the screen instead of the diagonal
distance because of some screwy change in the law.

My father was very particular on how he spent his money. He waited a long
time to move us up to color and finally decided to do it with the Heathkit
because 1) it was one of the first 25" color TVs on the market that didn't
require you to adjust the R, G and B guns separately to adjust the color, 2)
it had a rectangular tube instead of a round one, 3) it had servicing
features (manual degaussing coil in addition to the automatic one, and a
built-in dot generator), 4) it had a stereo amplifier Hi-Fi output, and 5)
I'm sure for the money ($480 or so) you couldn't get a store bought one that
good. He also knew it would be a great experience for me as a budding
electronics enthusiast (later to become a EE). And it was!

It finally succumbed to age, although I think it still worked when they got
rid of it. I still remember my Mom calling me after I had moved to Colorado
and started working and asked if I wanted it (this was probably in the late
70's or early 80's). I reluctantly said no, it had served its purpose, and
it was time to let it go.

Brian