Heathkit Televisions: GR2000 - two available

Gregory A. Marks gmarks at MERIT.EDU
Sun May 27 11:36:32 EDT 2001

I have two Heath GR-2000 televisions.  I am willing to give these to anyone who wants them.  All you
have to do is figure out how to come get them (chuckle).

One is pure Heath, the other is the Bell & Howell version.  One has a cabinet in fair condition, the
other has no cabinet.  I have what appears to be a full collection of documentation.

I very much do *not* want to take them to the dump.  But I'm not using them and I need the space.  It
is not really my wife's pressure - truth is I've got so much other stuff that I have to do some sort of
pruning.  :-)

I don't know the working condition of either one. I'm a firm believer in not plugging old stuff in to
"just try it" until I'm ready to do the job right.

I found them through local newspaper ads about 10 years ago.  I wanted to restore at least one of them,
because Heath TV's hold a special place for me.  I'd built a GR-53A back about 1966 and just loved it.
It was a round 19 inch color tube, all tube electronics, and took about 40 hours to build and adjust.
I later sold it to a teenager who was getting eager to try electronics, and afterward regretted no
longer having it.  Unfortunately I must now admit I'm just not going to find the time to work on the
GR-2000s.

Throughout the era of Heath TVs I remember that the picture was markedly better than what was available
from factory-built TVs of the era.  The picture was much closer to what you'd see on a studio monitor.
I do not recall they were any cheaper than factory-built sets, but the ability to service them and the
higher parts quality meant an expectation of much longer service life.  And there was nothing like the
feeling of that first power-up after construction and having a TV picture appear on the screen!

...Greg Marks
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Listserver Submissions: heath at listserv.tempe.gov