Demise of Heathkit

Erik Dragos eriknova at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 2 07:53:28 EST 2001

I think that is the key.  If you NEED a radio you
simply buy one.  If you want to have fun and
experience  the satisfaction of building your own you
could do that with Heathkit.  I don't think money (for
the most part) was a factor.  I think the incentive
was not only building a kit yourself but the unique
products that Heath had.  The the digital clocks and
weather instruments for example.  No other
manufactures used gas plasma displays in their alarm
clocks.  I've been trying to locate a Caller ID box
that uses a vacuum fluorescent display (gas-plasma
would work too) instead of the hard-to-read LCD
displays which they all seem to have now but have not
been successful.  If the old Heathkit was around today
I'd bet they would have just the thing I was looking
for.

-Erik

--- mike bryce <prosolar at SSSNET.COM> wrote:
> I¹ve been reading this thread for a while and
> decided to throw in my
> thoughts.

 Today, if you need a
> new radio, you go to best buys and have a selection
> that numbers into the
> hundreds. Who can compete with that?
>
> Technology changed too. Today¹s high speed pick and
> place surface mount
> machines can build a complete radio, TV  or computer
> in a matter of minutes

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com