Demise of Heathkit

Harvey A. Kader optom at ATTGLOBAL.NET
Sun Nov 4 20:08:59 EST 2001

Dom, Heathkit items from the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's were very high quality.
Excellent designs and excellent parts. In my opinion, after that everything went
downhill fast. The Heathkit VTVMs were as goods as a commercial VTVM. The IM-5228
and IM-5218 were the BEST and the LAST of the Heathkit VTVMs. I especially like
the IM-5228(blue metal case). No commercial VTVM ever had a meter as large as
that in the IM-5228. Designed like a tank, I have had mine since 1979. Works as
good as when new. My IM-5218(blue metal case) is still unbuilt. Bought it off
ebay for a mere $150. Now worth 2-3 times that on ebay. Bought it before people
discovered ebay, so prices were low. Also have an unbuilt Heathkit IM-38(AC
VTVM). Also bought off ebay for around the same price. This one is real vintage -
still uses a can electrolytic capacitor! Long live Heathkit! Harvey.