Heath Hi-Fi Question

Allen Heibeck mattall at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Nov 5 14:43:47 EST 2001

Hi Ed and Group,

Around 1955,  I built the W4-AM Williamson amp, and the W2 something
preamp (the gold one).  The speaker was a KnightKit from Allied Radio
and was a corner cabinet model after the then very popular Klipsch
enclosure and used a 12" coax speaker (also Knight).
The sound was remarkable- *for those days* My classic organ records
sounded absolutely wonderful.

See, Ed, speaker systems were much larger back then.  We were willing
to spare the required space for them.  Wives didn't object to that big box
in the corner because it sounded good, and looked nice. The old-time
systems were not power-hungry.  If you had a decent 12" or 15" speaker
driver, in a large cabinet that would couple the sound adequately to the
air-volume of the room,  is sounded great and didn't require a big amp.

Today, we have big-screen TVs and much other stuff all competing for
space in that same room.  We want speakers that are much smaller.
But, that's at the price of some very specially designed speaker systems
(some approach the gimic stage!).  To make this small system sort-of
drive the room's air-volume, they require big amps.  Some systems actually
have liquid-cooled treeters!

Re the amps:  Tubes are considered the very best.  Consider certain
labs and others  professional users that will pay $2500 for one 40-watt
channel!!

Hope this gives you some answers.

Allen

--
73 de Rev. Allen, KJ6XH      Real Radios glow in the dark!
        http://home.earthlink.net/~mattall

       Checkout TBN on DirecTV Satellite-- channel 372
            and Cable Systems all around the USA